Monday, August 08, 2005

The Fifth Annual Parallax View Premiership Predictions

In which Dead Kenny casts his weary, bloodshot eyes into the future to predict the likely final table at the end of the upcoming Premiership season (which starts Saturday). I have a poor record for picking the title winners, but have correctly guessed two out of the three relegated sides in each of the four seasons predicted so far. Which is bad news if you're a Pompey, Baggies or rugby league fan, as the table below will indicate unless I change my mind before I get to the end of the post.

I'm sticking my neck out by predicting The Hammers to avoid the drop in their first season back in the top flight following last term's promotion through the play-offs, but if you can't be optimistic this time of year, when can you? Up at the top, things will be tighter than last year but I think the ultimate conclusion will be similar.


1. Chelsea
2. Manchester United
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool

5. Blackburn Rovers
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. Middlesborough
8. Bolton Wanderers
9. Newcastle United
10. Manchester City
11. Everton
12. Birmingham City
13. Aston Villa
14. Charlton Athletic
15. West Ham United
16. Fulham
17. Sunderland

18. Portsmouth
19. West Bromwich Albion
20. Wigan Athletic


If you see things differently, let's be 'avin' your comments in the box provided.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blackburn?! 5th??

Btw, my address has changed to http://www.pgordonsmith.co.uk/parklife/

Parky @ Expecting To Fly

2:32 PM  
Blogger Dead Kenny said...

Evenin' Parky. New URL noted, btw.

Blackburn are a hard, dirty, nasty side who've just acquired a couple of strikers (Kuqi, Bellamy) who can provide goalpower on the break. They won't be pretty but I think they'll be more effective than the rest of the 16 also-rans. Just.

On the other hand, there is a possibility I'm completely wrong. We shall see.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Dead Kenny said...

Well Kim, my record at tipping champions is so poor (when you consider it's a 1-in-3 chance these days) that you should take this as an encouraging sign.

Out of the main contenders, I dislike Arsenal the least so I'd be delighted if they won the title but in my view your squad is too short of quality striking cover to be very confident at this stage.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Gordon said...

I don't see Blackburn finishing anywhere above 10th. Tottenham might surprise Liverpool if everyone performs (and Davids will do his best to make sure that happens), and I think Birmingham may be pushing for a European place (Top 6).

But I think you've called the Top 3 spot on.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I pretty much agree with your top three, though I think Liverpool should give Arsenal a real run for their money and may nick third. Spurs really ought to get fifth, but after that it's anyone's guess. Won't be Blackburn though!

10:58 AM  
Blogger peter bowler said...

I'd pretty much go along with top 4 but Birmingham and Blackburn will swap places.

I reckon Spurs could have a great year and I would tip Wigan, Sunderland and Villa to go down.

It's interesting, all right, not very interesting, that few people expect Everton to do as well again, I expect them to be higher than 11th though.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Blackburn will be in the bottom half and West Brom will finish 16th. Sunderland, West Ham and Wigan to go down. Charlton will finish higher than 14th.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home