Thursday, August 31, 2006

Knock Me Down With Some Feathers, Clever Tevez

No point talking to Dead Kenny about anything else today other than the news that my beloved West Ham United have pulled off arguably the transfer coup of the decade, with a deadline-day double swoop for two of the top young stars in world football in Argentinian World Cup players Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

No doubt there's more to the story than meets the eye, and with the transfer window still tantalisingly ajar for a few more hours there may yet be a sting in the tail in the form of one of our existing young stars being pushed through the exitdoor to finance the deal (Reo-Coker to ManUre remains a distressing possibility). There'll be plenty of time to worry about that later, for now all Hammers fans should simply celebrate how far we've come...after all, eighteen months ago we were sniffing around the likes of Bournemouth and Yeovil Town for £250k utility players!

Come on, you Irons!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure you're not worried about this deal? It stinks to high hell to me. I'm worried that the club I love is now also being tainted by russian blood money and we should be better than that. Stuff it, we're West Ham United and we've got history and should have pride and I don't know if I like this one bit. I'd be happy to go sniffing around for utility players in lower leagues if it meant we kept our integrity.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to believe we're capable of this on our own, but can we really honestly believe that? Time will tell. I'd love my gut instincts to be proven wrong, but I just can't get excited about this.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Dead Kenny said...

Well, Murph, I understand your concerns and if I spent enough time thinking about it, I'd probably share a lot of them. But I opted to savour the moment of snapping up some top World Cup stars at their peak, because it's not something I've experienced in near-on 40 years of following the club's fortunes.

It *is* troubling to think that the club might fall in the hands of oligarchs for whom money and property are more important than the values of the club and the interests of the fans, but that's the reality of Premiership football these days, innit?

I'm not ecstatic about the scenario but without tighter government and UEFA controls in effect, we're powerless. Most fans want the Hammers to compete near the high-end and proudly preserving our integrities and traditions is likely to see us drifting down the divisions again, and I'm even less ecstatic about that prospect.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to see some quality young stars in the claret-and-blue, even if it is a short-term folly. Whatever else just recently, life at Upton Park certainly ain't dull.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Dead Kenny said...

More gossip and speculation over at The Guardian -

Huge potential of West Ham is the draw.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home