Monday, August 02, 2004

Mad Dogs And Englishmen

And so, yes, I'm back, and fret not, I haven't been ill all this time, having squeezed in a stag do in Shrewsbury and a trip to watch the fourth and (as it happened) final day of the Second Test between England and the West Indies at Edgbaston. I used to get to see quite a bit of Test cricket in the early to mid-90s but I'd fallen out of the habit in recent years, and yet a great weather forecast, ticket availability and the tantalising scent of victory prompted myself and another couple of alcoholics cricket fans to get up at an ungodly hour on a Sunday morning for a shortish trip up to Warwickshire's county ground.

And 17 wickets, 300 or so runs and a pulsating victory later, I think we can safely say we got value for money for our 20 quid, although whether I'll feel the same after the incipient melanoma takes over is a different matter (my poor body currently having more red stripes than a West Indian beer vendor). And a new hero was born, with Ashley (Gilo) Giles cashing in on some unconvincing WI batting with another five-wicket haul. Other highlights included Sarwan's devastating throw that ran out double-centurion Marcus Trescothick and a brilliant full-stretch catch from Jimmy Anderson who finished off the game by clean-bowling the Windies' last two tail-enders. Add in several beers and some scantily-clad women in attendance, plus the gorgeous bar staff in the Guinness tent and it was difficult to think of a better way to spend a mid-summer day in Britain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home