Monday, August 02, 2004

Lunch Not For Wimps

Watching David Cronenberg's Naked Lunch on DVD for the first time since its original release back in 1991, two thoughts struck me. First thing that hit me was that I'd forgotten just how visually ravishing the film was (the print on this special-edition is suitably sumptuous), and soon after I was also shaking my head that I'd forgotten just how good a job Cronenberg had done in adapting the 'unfilmable' William Burroughs underground classic. It's a dense, complex, context-heavy brainfeast of fiction, fantasy and biography which tries to (literally, it seems) get into the head of counter-culture genius Burroughs to subversive, hilarious and sometimes downright icky effect. It's definitely a project which merits repeated viewing: throw in a Cronenberg commentary, interview with producer Jeremy Thomas and a making-of documentary and you have one of 2004's essential purchases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home