Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Poisoned Chalice

For anyone still concerned about the Mercury Music Prize the nominations have been announced and can be found on the official site. A pretty uninspiring list by any standards, the Best British Album during an era when the best music is coming predominantly from Scandinavia and North America seems like eternal damnation by faint praise to these ears.

No strong feelings on the outcome, either, but depending on the odds, Speech Debelle or The Horrors might give you a decent run for your money.

Legal disclaimer: Gamble Aware: Don't gamble unless you know the facts. Being responsible about gambling means knowing whether to gamble and how much money or time to spend.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Phill said...

OK help me out here - I just don't understand Friendly Fires and their appeal whatsoever and I've seen them twice on the bill with other people.

I like The Horrors and Glasvegas albums a lot. Bat for Lashes too - I would have put Doves and White Lies in there and PJ Harvey/John Parish and the Manics (but that's probably just my inner 14 year old)

Where's your half year review this year Kenneth?

2:42 PM  
Blogger Dead Kenny said...

Phill, look ^^^ for the hot-off-the-presses Half Term Report. PJ sneaks in but I'm less gripped by the record than I'd have liked.

As for FFs their main appeal I think is that they're fun, unpretentious, radio-friendly and club-friendly, and there aren't many indie bands you can say that about.

'Paris' and 'Jump In The Pool' are both great songs, I think. The singer's a bad dancer, but still dances a lot, which I think a lot of indie fans can relate to. Those are all the reasons I can think of, actually!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home